About this event
Tackling health inequalities is at the heart of our 2021 strategy. In line with that, we have grant funded Healthwatch Central West London to facilitate a pilot programme which will aim to improve community links with Black African people as we hear less from them.
This communities of interest pilot comprises four sessions and the same person from your Healthwatch must be able to attend all four sessions to take part. You must have the support of your lead officer as there is a time commitment to taking part and an expectation of actions being carried out between sessions. The session dates are:
- Wednesday 30th of June 13:30 to 16:30
- Wednesday 14th of July 13:30 to 16:30
- Wednesday 28th of July 13:30 to 16:30
- Wednesday 11th of August 13:30 to 16:30
You will work alongside five other local Healthwatch to explore different approaches to engaging with a Black African community in your area. Not all participants have to work with the same community and there is no assumption there will be similarities between them.
Please note if this oversubscribed, we may have to turn down your expression of interest to ensure a range of local Healthwatch participating. Applications will close on 18 June 2021.
Who is this event for?
This pilot is for local Healthwatch engagement staff who are committed to working with Black African communities in their area. They must also be committed to their own personal development to embrace the facilitated peer learning approach.
What will you learn?
Each participant will, during the course of the pilot:
- Take part in facilitated discussions about their journey so far in engaging this community
- Assess their local circumstances, resources and confidence level
- Discuss different engagement approaches and share experiences
- Set an action plan appropriate to their own situation
- Carry out those actions between sessions and share honest feedback on progress
- Share learning with the group and facilitators that can be used in a resource for the network and in a webinar in October for other local Healthwatch who want to engage Black African communities
Who is running this event?
Healthwatch Central West London