In January 2021, we kicked off work to improve how we engage our audiences by updating our brand personality, values and proposition. Today, we are delighted to share this work's results by launching our new brand beliefs and values.
Why is this work important?
We all share the same brand, and it should reflect a clear sense of who we are, what we believe and what we are working to achieve. This is why we commissioned a brand agency to help us articulate our purpose, personality and values in a way that resonates with those we support and serve.
Thanks to over 100 staff and volunteers who took part in workshops, we developed a clear articulation of our brand. We then tested this output with the public, our national and local stakeholders.
The results were more positive than we could imagine, with over 9 in 10 Healthwatch staff, volunteers, board members and leaders rating our new values as either highly relevant or relevant.
What do we believe and value?
- We believe that health and social care providers can best improve services by listening to people's experiences.
- We believe that everyone in society needs to be included in the conversation. Especially those whose voices aren’t being listened to.
- We believe that comparing lots of different experiences helps us to identify patterns and learn what is and isn't working.
- We value the insight that's gained from analysing many different people’s experiences to learn how to improve care.
- We believe that we must always remain independent and impartial while working with partners to get things done.
Listening: We recognise the value of listening to people and making sure their voices are heard.
Including: We value inclusivity. Listening to the first-hand experiences of diverse groups improves care for everyone.
Analysing: We value the insight that's gained from analysing many different people’s
experiences to learn how to improve care.
Acting: We act on feedback and drive change. Listening has to positively affect
outcomes and influence important decisions about people’s care.
Partnering: We value strong partnerships with care providers and Government –
serving as the public's independent advocate.
Help to adopt the updated articulation of our brand
Over the coming weeks, we'll roll out resources to help you adopt and use the new brand proposition, values and personality in your work.
These resources will include:
- Our messaging matrix, which will provide you with the brand proposition, values, tone of voice, and messages for each audience;
- A language guide and training to help you apply our personality when you write; and
- A checklist you can use to embed the brand personality and values in your work.
What else can I expect in the next 12 months?
We'll also be talking to you about what improvements we can make to the visual side of the Healthwatch brand. We are not planning a rebrand or to change the logo, but from your feedback, we think there are steps we can take to align our visual brand with our new personality and make it easier for you to use. We expect our updated visual guidelines to be ready this Autumn, after which we will update the Trademark Licence Agreement that every local Healthwatch signs to reflect the changes we have made.
Got a question?
If you have a question or are interested in getting involved in our work on the visual side of the brand, please talk to me – Ben Knox, or Tima Moledina who is leading on this work.